Marty Stuart to be special guest on 2019 Santa Train
KINGSPORT — Platinum-selling country music legend Marty Stuart will be the special guest on the 77th running of the CSX Santa Train on Saturday, Nov. 23, train organizers announced on Monday.
“My friend Ricky Skaggs was able to ride the Santa Train a few years back. As he told me more about this incredible event, I knew I wanted to be involved,” Stuart said. “This tradition means so much to so many families across Appalachia, and I’m honored to be a part of it.”
• Stuart has released 18 studio albums. His undeniable impact has earned him a multitude of prestigious awards, including five Grammy Awards.
• Stuart was prominently featured throughout Ken Burns’ “Country Music” documentary, broadcast recently on television.
• Stuart released his celebrated record “The Pilgrim-Deluxe Edition” for the first time ever last week on vinyl via MCA Nashville/UMG Nashville/UME. This special 20th anniversary release is being issued on double vinyl and includes a bonus CD with 10 never-before-released tracks, available only with the purchase of the “Pilgrim” vinyl.
• Coming soon, The Marty Stuart Congress of Country Music in his hometown of Philadelphia, Mississippi, will celebrate the rich cultural heritage of country music through live musical performances and educational programming. For additional information online: https://congressofcountrymusic.org/.
• Each year since 1942, CSX’s Santa Train has embarked on a journey from Eastern Kentucky to downtown Kingsport to spread holiday cheer while passing out gifts to families along the route.
• The Santa Train makes 12 stops in Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee, stopping to deliver toys, food and winter clothing to hundreds of residents along the way.
• In its earlier years, items were tossed to folks all along the route — including while the train was in motion. That practice stopped. Now, gifts are distributed only at specific stops.
• Stuart will accompany Santa Claus and event sponsors CSX, Appalachian Power, Food City, Kingsport Chamber of Commerce and Soles4Souls on the 110-mile trek.
“We couldn’t be more thrilled that Marty Stuart is choosing to spread holiday cheer on the 77th Santa Train,” said Bryan Tucker, vice president of CSX Corporate Communications. “Marty has reached so many incredible milestones in his career, and we know families across the route will be thrilled that he’s this year’s special guest.”